Hello from Elder Thurber--who serves in the Philippines Manila Mission

Hello from Elder Thurber--who serves in the Philippines Manila Mission

Thursday, May 7, 2015

5/5/2015 I'm Going to be "Killed" by Two Elders in the Office!

Family, Friends, and People in the Makati 3rd and 4th Wards,

NOTHING is quite as unexpected as transfers coming from the Lord thru President Ostler! Elder Francisco is going to train a new missionary and be transferred to Coron, a very small but breath-takingly beautiful island with only 4 missionaries.  I'm staying put, and am going to be in a threesome with Elder Hadley and Wilson! I'll tell you more about them next week. I have a slightly dark picture below of them. They got interviewed by President last night and were both pretty shocked. 



On top of that, the assistant's area is being changed to Elder Wilson's current area, which means no more international ward! President Ostler's vision is that our area is the best area in the mission. I'm feeling the pressure, but I know my companions well enough so there won't be a problem. 

Last week was a appetizer for what's in store for my next transfer. We went on three exchanges, one after another. I went on my second exchange to Manila and taught Angel and Althea. One of the best feelings as a missionary is to see those you've taught and see they're still strong in the gospel. You really grow to love them. I also went to Makati 2nd Ward, which, ironically, is where I'll be working in, starting this Thursday. 

This picture is from a Career Workshop that missionaries going home in May and June had to attend. Aside from teaching from the booklet we were given, they taught us how to use the experience we obtained on our mission. I should avoid church-y words and instead say "I was a service volunteer for two years for a non-profit organization" for nonmembers. I can say I presented a lot of training, which could help in a managerial profession.
Elder Thurber and the other Assistants presenting training
this week at the mission home to incoming new missionaries.
(Picture from the Ostler's blog:  thephilippinesmanilamission.blogspot.com)

This is what our office looks like when there are missionary meetings and such.















The following picture is also in the office, displaying some of the baptisms that have happened in the mission.


Lyn and Wilma
I said some goodbyes to people last Sunday, so I had to get some pictures. The first is off Lyn and Wilma, who were baptized right before I came in the area.













Then, everybody wanted to join into the picture, thus there's a 2nd picture. In the middle, you see Samuel Owusu, who knows the Bible as well as most members. I really appreciate all the time I've been given to teach them.









Time is too short in supply. 

Love, Elder Thurber






No comments:

Post a Comment